The Short Wing Piper Club has an Honor Roll to formally recognize members who are making or have made significant contributions to our Club.
Established in 1987, the Club welcomed its first members to our Hall of Honor. Recipients were announced in the July-August 1987 issue of the Short Wing Piper News. Seven members were recognized at that time: Robert A. Fuller, Steve Marsh, Edwin F. Wach, Kurt Schneider, Larry D. Smith, Lonnie McLaughlin and George Fruehauf.
In 2005, the Honor Roll, or Hall of Honor as it is often called, was revitalized with the induction of two new Honor Roll recipients – Frank Rush and Iris Morris.
Most years since, The Short Wing Piper Club has welcomed new members to our Hall of Honor. Honorees are members, past or present, who have been chosen by the membership for their “outstanding contribution to the Short Wing Piper Club and it’s goal to maintain and preserve the Piper Vagabonds, Clippers, Pacers, Tri-Pacers and Colts.”
Thanks to the efforts of member Peter Polen, who worked with the Piper Aviation Museum in Lock Haven, Pennslyvania, Hall of Honor recipients are recognized at our Short Wing Piper Club display in the Piper Museum. With this display, which was installed in 2004, we now have a prime location and national exposure to show the public who our honored members are.
Interested in nominating someone to the SWPC Hall of Honor?
HONOR ROLL GUIDELINES
Many members, past and present, deserve to be included on the Short Wing Piper Club Honor Roll. If you are interested in nominating someone for the Short Wing Piper Club Honor Roll, please follow the guidelines below.
- All SWPC members and former members are eligible for this honor.
- Any member, group, or chapter may make a nomination.
- Nominations shall be formally submitted either by e-mail or postal mail to the Secretary of our Board with a copy to the President. The Club’s Official Address is PO Box 10822, Springfield, MO 65808. Nominations should contain a narrative statement about why the nominee deserves this honor, taking into account the primary qualification of “Outstanding contribution to the Short Wing Piper Club and it’s goal to maintain and preserve the Piper Vagabonds, Clippers, Pacers, Tri-Pacers and Colts.” Biographical information should be included if possible, and a photograph of the nominee should accompany the nomination. In addition to being evaluated for induction, this information will be used to generate the biography page in the notebook placed in the SWPC display at the Piper Aviation Museum in Lock Haven, Pennsylvania.
- Nominations should be received by the Secretary and President by April 15 of each year, after which the Board will review the submittals and select none, one or two to be honored. If not selected, a nominee will continue to be reviewed annually without the need for additional nomination entries.
- The new honorees will be inducted into the Hall of Honor each summer at our convention.
|1987||Robert A. Fuller|
Edwin F. Wach
Larry D. Smith
|2006||Charles “Chuck” Lewis|
Bob and Eleanor Mills
|2014||George & Florence (Tyke) Klitsch|
Jim & Janice Fix
|2017||Carole Van Vleet|
|2023||Claire and Terry Karlson|